Participate in a Mass
The Mass is «source and top of the entire christian life» and «contents the entire spiritual treasure of the Church, in other words the Christ himself» (Catechism of the Catholic Church).
In the Sanctuary, many chapels, churches and basilicas permit to celebrate Masses. The Grotto is also a place of worship in its own right (Masses are celebrated there all year, in the morning only. However, during the period of the pilgrimages, a Mass is celebrated every night at 11:00).
Some masses are especially significant during the period of the pilgrimages:
- the Children Masses are organised by the Youth Service in June
- the International Youth Masses are organised by the Youth Service during the summer
- the pilgrimages masses are organised by the directors of the pilgrimages
- the ordinary masses are organised by the Sanctuary
- the international masses are organised by the Sanctuary, every Wednesday and every Sunday, during the period of the pilgrimages, from April to October.
You can also request a Mas by contacting the Sanctuary of Lourdes.
The International Mass
from April to October, the International Mass takes place every Wednesday and Sunday, at 9:30, in the basilica St-Pius X. It approximatively lasts one hour and a half and gathers most of the pilgrimages present in Lourdes. You'd better come one hour before if you want to find a seat.
To join the choir, come before the International Mass, at 8:30 am in the basilica St-Pius X (near the organ for the rehearsal). Pilgrims from all over the world are welcome.
Every priest can concelebrate if he arrives with his liturgical vestments at least 30 minutes before the beginning of the Mass.
To announce your group of pilgrims at the beginning of the Mass, please contact the Information Center of the Sanctuary.